Excerpt from Instruction manual
The lights are designed for use on sail or power driven vessels under 20 meters (65.6 ft.) in length, operating on a nomi nal 12 volt or 24 volt system. In order to comply with ‘72 COLREGS and the U.S. Inland Navigation Rules, the following must be adhered to :
- These instructions show the orientation of the light after the proper mounting location has been determined. For proper light selection, positioning and configuration, refer to A.B.Y.C. Standard A-16*, the 72 COLREGS*, and the U.S. Inland Navigation Rules*. These lights are supplied com- plete with 12 volt bulbs (Cat. No. 0071DP0CLR, 12V, 10W), however 24 volt bulbs (Cat. No. 0072DP1CLR, 24V, 10W) are available for 24 volt systems.
- These lights are designed to be mounted on a horizontal, vertical or angled surface. Adhere to instruction #8 below, while selecting the appropriate mounting surface.
- a) Cat. No. 1181000CLR & 1181DP0CHR: Draw a 3 inch long reference line through the cen- ter of the selected mounting location and parallel to the vertical plane through the fore-aft centerline of the boat.
b) Cat. No. 1184000CLR & 1184DP0CHR: Draw a 4 inch long reference line through the cen- ter of the selected mounting location and parallel to the vertical plane through the fore-aft centerline of the boat.
- Cut out the appropriate mounting template below. Tape it on to the mounting surface such that the reference line is directly underneath the reference line marked on the template.
- Drill indicated holes through the template to accommodate #8 mounting screws (pan head for plastic bases & oval head for metal bases) and electrical supply as required.
- Attach supply connections to the light, making sure to wire in accordance with both A.B.Y.C. Standard E-9* and U.S. Coast Guard Safety Standards for Boat Electrical Systems (33 CFR 183)*.
The supply leads are coded as follows :
WHITE : Forward compartment (masthead light) positive supply lead.
RED or GRAY : Aft compartment (when energized with the forward compartment: all-round light) positive supply lead.
BLACK : Negative supply lead. (CAUTION: Negative lead connected to case. To avoid energizing case, observe polarity).
Electrical connections are to be made such that only the forward compartment (masthead light) is energized with the other running lights (sidelights, stern light, etc.) while underway. Both compartments are energized simultaneously by themselves to create the all-round (anchor) light. Be sure to use double-pole switches otherwise feedback will cause all lights in the system to be energized at the wrong time.
- Mount the light in accordance with the template. A plastic mounting spacer is supplied with Cat. Nos. 1181000CLR and 1181DP0CHR (only) for use when mounting against an uneven surface.
- Make sure the top of the light is vertical during operation (see illustration), the arrow on the top cover points ahead (not astern), and the reference marks are parallel to the fore-aft centerline of the boat.
- Relamp only with PERKO Cat. No. 0071DP0CLR bulbs (12V, 10W) or PERKO Cat. No. 0072DP1CLR bulbs (24V 10W) to remain in compliance.
*The above referenced standards can be obtained from :
(1) American Boat & Yacht Council, Inc. 613 Third Street, Suite 10 Annapolis, MD 21403
(2) U.S. Coast Guard Washington, D.C. 20593 (or your local C.G. Office)