Excerpt from Instruction manual
The lights are designed for use on power driven vessels under 20 meters (65.6 ft.) in length operating on a nominal 12 volt system. In order to comply with ‘72 COLREGS and the U.S. Inland Rules, the following must be adhered to:
- For proper light selection, positioning and configuration, refer to the A.B.Y.C. Standard A-16*, the ‘72 COLREGS* and the U.S. Inland Rules*.
- These lights are designed to be mounted on a horizontal surface.
- Draw a 6 inch long reference line through the center of the selected mounting location and parallel to the centerline of the boat.
- Cut out the mounting template. Place it on the mounting surface such that the reference line is directly unde rneath the reference line marked on the template.
- Drill 2 holes through the template to accommodate #8 round or pan head mounting screws. Drill a 1/4 inch hole to accommodate the electric wiring.
- Attach supply connections to the light, making sure to wire in accordance with both A.B.Y.C. Standard E-9* and U.S. Coast Gu ard Safety Standards for Boat Electrical Systems (33 CFR 183)*. These lights are polarity sensitive. Connect red lead to positive a nd black lead to negative.
- Mount the light in accordance with the template. Note that there are thin reference marks around the outside of the base th at must be aligned with the reference line (drawn in Step #3) for final accuracy of mounting orientation.
* The above referenced standards can be obtained from :
- American Boat and Yacht Council, Inc 613 Third Street, Suite 10 Annapolis, MD 21403
- U.S. Coast Guard Washington, D.C. 20593 (or your local C.G. Office)