Excerpt from Instruction manual
The lights are designed for use on power driven vessels under 20 meters (65.6 ft.) in length, operating on a nominal 12 volt or 24 volt system. In order to comply with the ‘72 COLREGS and the U.S. Inland Rules, the following must be adhered to :
Mounting Information :
- These instructions show the orientation of the lights after the proper mounting location has been determined. For proper light selection, positioning and configuration, refer to A.Y.B.C. Standard A-16*, the ‘72 COLREGS*, and the U.S. Inland Navigation Rules*. These lights are supplied complete for 12 volt systems or for 24 volt systems.
- These lights are designed to be mounted on a vertical surfaces that are parallel to the cen- terline of the boat. The mounting surface must provide a minimum of 10 inches of surface ahead of the light.
- Draw a 6 inch long horizontal reference line through the center of the selected mounting location and parallel to the centerline of the boat
- Cut out the mounting template. Tape it on the mounting surface such that the reference line is directly underneath the reference line marked on the template, and the arrow on the template points ahead (not astern).
- Drill mounting holes as indicated. Mounting screw length should be selected to protrude at least 3/4 inch below light base for secure installation
- Each light is identified with a colored mark (Red/Green) as the lens is clear. If the mark is absent, attach power to light leads to identify light
- Attach supply connections to the light, making sure to wire in accordance with both A.B.Y.C. Standard E-9* and U.S. Coast Guard Safety Standards for Boat Electrical Systems (33 CFR 183)*. These lights are polarity sensitive. Connect red lead to positive and black lead to negative
- Mount the light on the correct side of the boat. Note that there are thin reference marks around the outside of the black base that must be aligned with the reference line (drawn in step #3) for final accuracy of mounting orientation.
- Recheck that the red shows port and green shows starboard.
* The above referenced standards can be obtained from :
- American Boat and Yacht Council, Inc 3069 Soloman’s Island Road Edgewater, Maryland 21037
- U.S. Coast Guard Washington, D.C. 20593 (or your local C.G. Office)