Excerpt from the owners manual: MAINTENANCE WARNING
- To prevent electrocution, always disconnect cordset from power source before performing any maintenance.
- Before each use, examine the ends of the cordset, the face of the inlet on the boat, and the receptacle on the dock. Look for signs of discoloration which indicates overheating.
- If a connection shows signs of overheating, replace it immediately. Do no wait for the problem to get worse.
- If a cordset end is overheating, it might be the boat’s inlet, or the dock’s receptacle that is causing the problem. Both mating parts should be replaced.
- Carefully follow the wiring instructions supplied with all replacement devices to insure proper operation. NEVER ALTER POWERCORD CORDSET CONNECTORS
The metallic parts of your Marinco® cable set are made to resist corrosion. In a salt-water environment, life of the product can be increased by periodically cleaning the exposed parts with fresh water, drying, and apply Gardner Bender® Ox-Gard™.
Salt Water Immersion: Disconnect from power source. Rinse plug end or connector end thoroughly in fresh water, shake, or blow out excess water and allow to dry. Spray with Gardner Bender® Ox-Gard™. Marinco® recommends this PowerCord Owner’s Guide be made a part of your Boat Service Manual.
TROUBLE SHOOTING GUIDE Marinco® plugs, connectors, receptacles, and inlets are engineered to provide years of trouble free service. However, the marine environment can cause problems with even the best designed devices. If problems can be detected while they are small, it can save the boat owner time and expense later on. The most common problems with electrical connections are salt water immersion and overheating. Fortunately, overheating can be easily detected and quickly remedied. The following are precautions and solutions to extend the life of your Marinco® equipment. What to look for... Examine the ends of the shore power cords. Look for discoloration or melting around the blades of the plug (male end) and around the slots on the connector (female end). Examine the face of the inlet on the boat and look for discoloration or melting around the blades and the inlet. Examine the receptacle on the dock and look for discoloration or deterioration around the slots. What causes overheating... If a device shows signs of overheating, it is generally caused by one or two conditions: corrosion on the metal blades or contacts, or bad connections between the wiring device and the wires connected to it. Severely corroded blades or contacts are a result of exposure to a corrosive environment, most commonly salt water. If the ends of the cordset are dropped into salt water and not properly cleaned and dried, the contacts will eventually corrode. Corroded contacts do not make a good electrical connection and overheating results. Bad connections between a wiring device and the electrical wire can be a result of loose terminations, corrosion on the wires or terminals, or the wires not being stripped properly so the wire insulation is under the terminals. A bad connection will result in overheating of the terminal, and this will be visible on the face of the wiring device. What to do... If a wiring device shows signs of overheating, it should be replaced immediately. Do not wait for the problem to get worse. When replacing wiring devices, examine the electrical wire and make sure the wire strands are clean, and are not corroded. Even a new device can not make a good connection to corroded wire. Many boat owners think overheating is a result of over loading the circuit, but this is rarely the case. A bad connection in an inlet will also cause the mating connector to overheat. All too frequently a boat owner will merely continue to replace his connector, not realizing that the inlet is causing the problem. Both devices should be replaced in order to prevent the problem from happening again. The same is true for the plug and the receptacle on the dock.