Posted by Peter Kennedy on 1/24/2023 to System Integration
We recommend you set up your Victron Cerbo GX on the Victron VRM portal as part of the installation procedure. It only takes a few minutes and is easier to do while the instructions are at hand and the installation is all fresh in your mind. Then if you ever need remote support it will be all set up and you will be able to put your Cerbo GX online and share your site. The Video below tells you all you need to know and if it goes a bit fast for you there is a written summary further down.
Below is a summary of the instructions detailed in the Video above
- Get your Cerbo GX (or other GX device) online. You can use WiFi, a WiFi hotspot from your phone, or a wired ethernet connection to a router. If you have a wired ethernet connection to a router there is no extra set up involved. If you are using WiFi go to SETTINGS > WIFI > WIFI NETWORKS to connect the Cerbo GX to your network.
- Then go to SETTINGS > VRM PORTAL > VRM PORTAL ID and take a note of your portal ID.
- In a web browser go to vrm.victronenergy.com and register for a VRM account. You will have to verify your email to complete this step.
- Go to ADD INSTALLATION, select your device (in this case a Cerbo GX), enter your portal ID, and give your system a name. The name step is optional but please do not omit this step. Your system must be online while you complete this part.
This gets your system online in a basic way but to set it up for full remote support you will have to do the following other steps:
- Back at your Cerbo you have to do the following three things:
- Go to SETTINGS > VRM ONLINE PORTAL > ENABLE TWO WAY COMMUNICATION
- Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > REMOTE SUPPORT and ENABLE REMOTE SUPPORT
- Go to SETTINGS > REMOTE CONSOLE > ENABLE ON VRM
- This requires a reboot of the Cerbo. Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > REBOOT
- Back at the VRM page in a browser there are a few more things to do
- Enable Widgets. Go to ADVANCED then WIDGETS then enable them all
- Share your site. This is for viewing only. Go to SHARE. You can share with everyone on Victron World, you can embed the site in a web page or share it with an individual
- Invite a user. This is for higher level access. Go to SETTING > USERS, invite a user, and if you want detailed support ALLOW FULL CONTROL
There are a few other things you can do. Why not include a photo and a wiring diagram of your project? That way if you want tech support in the future when the details are forgotten the wiring diagram and all the relevant information is there. You could even make a list of the items in the project. They have to be stored as photos.
The full instructions for this are online on the Victron website at this link: VRM Portal Documentation The online manual has lots of screenshots. You can also refer to the Cerbo GX instruction manual. If you forgot to name your installation first time around you can go back later and name it.
Here is where to find the Widgets